Football Gossip,Transfers,Injuries As Cristiano Ronaldo’s Match Is Cancelled At 70 Mins,Jose Mourinho’s Secret Old Trafford War With French Stars
Cristiano Ronaldo’s Juventus debut was abandoned after fans stormed the pitch to mob the new arrival.
Ronaldo donned the black and white of Juve for the first time on Sunday afternoon, as he took part in the annual Villar Perosa friendly.
Juventus’s senior stars take on their B team every year ahead of the Serie A season in the picturesque village of Villar Perosa, around 40km southwest of Turin.
The match presents a unique opportunity for fans of the Italian club to see the players up close and personal in an intense and tight environment.
The friendly takes place on a pitch inside an estate owned by the family of Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli.
It has become tradition for supporters to charge onto the pitch at some point during the second half, marking the end of the match.
This year was no different, with supporters especially keen to get up close to five-time Ballon d’Or winner Ronaldo, and the game being called to a halt with the score 5-0.
He had made a big impact on the game, scoring after just eight minutes to open the scoring in front of five thousand supporters, before helping force Riccardo Capellini to turn the ball into his own net for the second.
Paulo Dybala hit home the third before Ronaldo’s shot was parried into the path of the diminutive Argentinian for the forth goal later in the half.
But that was the full extent of his debut, as he was taken off at half-time, as it was just his first match since returning from World Cup action.
Claudio Marchesio slotted the ball home for the fifth shortly after the break.
Ronaldo, 33, joined Juve earlier this summer from Real Madrid for a fee of around £90million.
The Villar Perosa friendly has been played every year since 1955, with Juventus B actually winning the first fixture 3-2.
Over a decade has passed since the last time the B secured a shock win, coming out 1-0 winners back in 2005
That is the opinion of former Manchester United defender Wes Brown , who believes the offer of the captaincy will broker an uneasy truce between manager and superstar – and Pogba himself seemed to confirm that yesterday.
Mourinho made the World Cup winner his skipper on Friday night, only for the rift between the pair to be ripped open once more afterwards, when the midfielder claimed he feared he would be fined if he said what he thought about the boss.
Yet Brown believes now the season has started, the lure of the armband will help Pogba settle down and help him produce the sort of form that made him one of the stars of Russia 2018.
“I’d like to know what he thinks he can’t say, but he is still a Manchester United player,” Brown said.
“I don’t really know too much about what’s been said or talked about but he is a Manchester United player and I am sure he is happy there.
“He scored a goal on Friday – the season has started now so he will just get his head down and play football.
“I think he is brilliant, he has to try to do his best for the team like any other player.”
Brown had previously suggested the France international should now be given the armband on a permanent basis, to help put the rift between Mourinho and the player behind them.
There may still seem to be tension between the manager and his star man along with Anthony Martial , but Pogba spoke in emotional terms about the captaincy and what it means to him, after being awarded the honour against Leicester.
“I have learnt from all of them. I don’t think there is a book called ‘How to be a Leader’. You are either a leader on the pitch and off the pitch or you are not.”
And he offered United fans hope he may stay at Old Trafford long after Mourinho’s tenure, when he added: “I have always loved the club. I have played for the academy, I have played for the first team and it was a dream come true.
“And now it is even more of a dream come true, wearing this armband, because of the past: the players who have played here and those who have been wearing this.”