On Tuesday evening, four unknown gunmen attacked a vehicle belonging to Wildfrontiers before kidnapping the driver, Paul Milenge and Kimbley Sue Endecoot, 35, an American tourist while on an evening drive on Edward track between Katoke gate and the Wilderness Camp in Kanungu district.
The Inspector General of Police, Martin Okoth Ochola has rushed to Queen Elizabeth National Park as investigations into the kidnap of an American tourist and her driver intensifies,police on Wednesday said a joint operation including the UPDF, Uganda Wildlife Authority and Police had kicked off in a bid to rescue the victims.
Deputy police spokesperson, Polly Namaye told the NBS that Ochola had rushed to the area to check on the progress of the operation.
“The operation is ongoing and the IGP joined the teams yesterday in Kanungu. We will update you as the operation goes on,”Namaye told this website on Thursday morning.
Congo border sealed off
Police on Wednesday said the border between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo in Queen Elizabeth National Park had been sealed off as the hunt for the attackers intensified.
“We want to inform the public and all visitors in the country that the joint security teams have cut off all exit areas on the border between DRC and Uganda in search for the victims since the park is along the border,”Namaye told journalists on Wednesday afternoon.
The deputy police publicist however assured the public that the area is safe since this is the first incident of its kind in many years.
The kidnappers have since used one of the victims’ phone to demand for $500,000(shs1.8billion) before releasing the hostages.
It is suspected that the gunmen crossed from the volatile DRC side to Uganda.
Both the Counter Terrorism and Tourism Police officers together with UPDF soldiers are already on ground combing the bushes in a bid to rescue the hostages as well as arresting the kidnappers.Add your comments: Download Our News App Here