Iran fires rockets at US forces in Iraq As NATO Troops Begin to Leave Iraq

BY: Eyalama In News On

Iran has fired more than a dozen rockets at two Iraqi military bases hosting US troops, the Pentagon confirmed.

The rockets fired at the Ain al-Asad base in Anbar province and a base in Erbil early on Wednesday came amid escalating tensions between Tehran and Washington.

The attacks follow the US killing of Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani in Iraq last week. Iran had vowed severe retailiation.

Here are all of the latest updates as of Wednesday, January 8:

[corona country="Uganda" title="Uganda"]

Trump tweets ‘all is well’

Following the attacks, Trump said “all is well” and he will be making a statement on Wednesday morning local time.

“All is well!” Trump tweeted. “Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.”

[corona country="Kenya" title="Kenya"]

Zarif: Iran took proportionate measures in self-defence

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Twitter that Iran took what it considered to be proportionate measures and does not seek an escalation of war.

“Iran took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter targeting base from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched. We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression,” Zarif tweeted.

Some NATO Troops Begin Leaving Iraq

The alliance, which has been training Iraqi soldiers battling the Islamic State, said that it would begin removing some troops after the United States killed the Iranian general Qassim Suleimani.

NATO is removing some of the trainers who have been working with Iraqi soldiers battling the Islamic State, in the aftermath of the American killing of Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani of Iran in Baghdad.

The NATO secretary general, Jens Stoltenberg, announced on Monday that the training had been temporarily suspended.

For the security of NATO personnel, the organization said in a statement that it would be taking precautions — including “the temporary repositioning of some personnel to different locations both inside and outside Iraq.”

NATO, which has been running the training operation since 2018, will continue to maintain a presence in Iraq and remains committed to fighting international terrorism, an official said, while refusing to divulge details about troop movements.

NATO, which has roughly 500 soldiers in Iraq, lifted some of them out of Baghdad’s Green Zone in helicopters Monday night.

General Suleimani was killed in an American drone strike at the Baghdad airport on Friday alongside a powerful Iraqi militia leader. Since then, Iran and its partners have stepped up calls for vengeance Iran attacked two American forces at two bases in Iraq early Wednesday, Iranian official news media and United States officials said.

Add your comments:

Download Our News App Here

You may also read!

Besigye beats security, makes his way to city centre

Political activist and four-time presidential candidate Dr. Kizza Besigye has managed to go past security at his home in

Read More...

Pastor disappears with his followers in Mityana

Police in Mityana are investigating the circumstances under which Pastor Kalibala Samuel, disappeared with several of his church followers,

Read More...

Museveni to address the Nation on rising commodity prices on Sunday

President Museveni is expected to address the nation on the high commodity prices on Sunday. Linda Nabusayi, the Senior

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu