We saved 20 people from capsized boat,then the army chased us away

George Onyango, a local fisherman at Mutima beach has narrated how he and fellow fisherman  identity not yet known were able to save over 20 people during the fateful incident on Lake Victoria.

The search for over 30 people who are still missing  being led by the police and army marine departments  is still ongoing.

On Saturday evening at around 4:00pm, a boat from KK beach in Ggaba destined for K-Palm beach resort in Mukono district that had over 100 revelers capsized at Mutima palm beach killing 32 people but many others went missing.

In an interview with NBS, George Onyango, a fisherman at Buzindeere village where the incident happened narrated the events on the fateful day.

“At around 7:30pm on Saturday, I realized there was loud music from a boat that was sailing near where I was. I started dancing to the music but it was not long before I realized something was amiss,”Onyango narrates.

“I started hearing screams from the occupants of the boat. I realized the front part of the boat was looking upwards as if it was sinking.”

Onyango says he later rushed to call his friends to come to the rescue of the people on the boat and according to him, seven boats rushed to scene.

Onyango futher adds that he occupied a boat with another fisherman and they started on the job of rescuing the victims of the boat crash.

“When we reached the scene, we picked whoever was in water including Prince Wasajja whom we gave a stick to cling onto,” he narrated.


He said that he took over five times ferrying victims to the land from the waters.


“Each time we took over five people from the waters to the land. I saved over 20 people,”Onyango said.

He narrated that of the many people he saved only four people died after being rescued from the water.

Onyango narrated that many of the people they saved didn’t have life jackets whereas others had them.

According to Onyango police and the UPDF marine boats arrived over six hours later after the incident when victims had been rescued and dead bodies removed from water.

“We finished rescuing at around 11pm and they(police and army) arrived at around 1:00am when we had finished everything,” said one Bernard Wanyama, a local fisherman.


“It hurt us so much that when they arrived, they told us to collect the dead bodies together and later they chased us away from the scene.”

The fishermen said the police and the army should have worked together with them instead of sending them away.

#share this post to keep others aware


Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published.