Today marks the fourth day as the army, police and, locals conduct the the search mission of finding the missing people from the gruesome boat incident. But a lot of questions have remained unanswered: where are the missing people estimated to be over 60?
On Saturday evening at around 4:00pm, MV Templar left its residence cruising out to K-Palm Beach Resort in Mukono with over 120 people aboard according to local residents.
This means that in total at least 59 people have been accounted for so far leaving 61 still missing.
Earlier on Monday morning , police deployed a helicopter,divers and locals to see if they could find bodies of some of the deceased people who were still missing.
However, according to police spokesperson in charge these operation Zurah Ganyana, the divers who went in the deep waters found out that there was no body trapped under the boat.
“Despite that, we shall try to pull out the boat to find out if there is a possibility of finding any body trapped under,”Ganyana said.
On Monday evening, the locals, police and army used ropes to try to pull out the wreckage of the boat from the waters. This failed. They are expected to try again today with the help of a grader possibly today.
The biggest question remains,Where are the missing people?
As more has been heard from the nearby locals and fishermen it points out from their speeches that many people were saved yet we are being notified of low numbers.so here comes the issue..
According to Bernard Wanyama a local fisherman, they saved a bigger number of people from the ill-fated boat from what was reported by police.
“Two coasters and a taxi full of people were saved from the water left this place,” Wanyama told the NBS Press team in an interview.
This highly contradict police’s report that only 27 have been rescued so far because two coasters and a taxi can fit a total of about 80 people.
Earlier on Saturday night shortly after the accident, police tweeted that up to 40 people could have been rescued. But on Sunday the figure was revised to 26 and a day later (on Monday) to 27.
Another version is from a police officer who preferred anonymity who said many of the survivors refused to have their names recorded after the incident over reasons best known to them.
The mission to search for missing persons will continue Tuesday according to police but chances of finding any more bodies, according to some people, could be slim.
Reliable information from the fishermen at Buzindeere village neighboring Mutima Beach complained about and blamed the sorry state of the boat and the fact that it was overloaded.
“That boat had spent over three months at K-Palm beach being repaired. We used to pass by it but we realised it had a fault at its bottom,” said 24 year old Abdul Karim Nsubuga.
“Deep in the water, the engine stopped on a number of occasions and the captain had to maintain and restart it,” said Shamila Nsereko one of the survivors.Add your comments: Download Our News App Here